7.20.2009

Procrastination

I'm taking a little break from studying for my Anatomy and Physiology test tomorrow to write this blog post...if we have another test on the nervous system next time around, I may scream. Who knew summer classes take up so much time? I suppose they do cram so much information into 8 weeks, but I'm doing really well and hope that's a good omen for how I'll succeed in nursing school.

Speaking of nursing, my shadowing experience was very interesting today. The doctor of the nurse I was shadowing today told me the greatest bit of advice he could give me is to use my common sense. I like that. It makes me hope that maybe nursing isn't rocket science and maybe I could be good at it.

First of all, I have to say that Nurse Toni is amazing. It's impossible not to like her, and I can see that her patients really do enjoy her presence and trust her. One of the most encouraging things I saw today that makes me want to be a nurse was the kind of bond that has developed over time between Toni and Dr. Adkins and their patients (obviously not all can be gems, but a lot of them). Toni and Dr. Adkins are great with people, caring, and obviously care a great deal about getting their patients treated the best way possible. I don't know how Toni can be so bubbly and chipper all day. Which brings me to the aspects of their job I'm not so fond of...

They work long days. Toni said they have a difficult time keeping their work weeks under 50 hours. Ugh. It wouldn't sounds so terrible if I didn't see how insanely busy they are. If they're not meeting with a patient, they're filling out paper work and making phone calls to all sorts of pharmacies and other departments. There wasn't even time for a lunch break. I suppose there may not be many jobs that allow you downtime. I can't imagine working in really any job for 40 hours a week. The work force will be a rude awakening for me, I'm sure.

I also really like the philosophy of the department that a person should be on as few medications as possible. I feel like a lot of doctors just give away meds like it's their job (which ironically is). At the end of the day, though, the most rewarding thing for Toni and Dr. Adkins (who really work as an awesomely functional team) must be the words of gratitude from patients that have gone into remission because of the great work they do.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to be more medicated! Give away those drugs, Doc ;)

    Just kidding. I'm glad that your experience was a good one. I'm sure that Wednesday will be even better.

    I don't get a real lunch break at Joint Neighborhood either! I think that's just the way that jobs go. Maybe once you get into it, it won't be that big of a deal.

    Oh yeah, and you are so smart; I know that you will ace your test tomorrow, darling!

    ReplyDelete