1.30.2010

Good week :)

I can't believe I'm three weeks into my program already! I'm sitting here studying for my first two tests on Monday in pathophysiology and health assessment. It's very difficult to study for the first tests, because you never know what to expect. I do know that every test here at Goldfarb consists 50 multiple choice questions(which I like), but you only get 1 minute per question. We'll see how this goes. Because of the weird rounding rules here, a 94% and above is an A, 91-93% is an A-, etc. I'm used to doing well in classes, but people keep telling me that nursing school has a whole new way of asking questions. I really have no idea if I should brace myself to be ok with lower grades or what. I'll just study as much as I can and shoot for the A. Monday could be a wakeup call. I'm trying some new study techniques that I've never used before such as listening to recorded lectures and studying in groups, so I'm hoping that will help.

Even though I get a little stressed sometimes, I love the pace of this program. I feel like I've learned so much. In these few weeks, I've learned skills such as putting in a foley, taking blood pressure, and starting an IV (although I'm not so great yet). I'm going to be in the ER starting IV's and inserting catheters in a few weeks, so I'm super excited to try these out on live people (although our high tech simulation people are pretty awesome).

Let's see. Nothing is really new beside school. I go almost every day for 8 hours a day, so there's really not time for much more, haha. I still make time to watch the Office Thursday nights with Christy, and I got lunch with a friend from Chamber chorus in the Central West End who works near my school. I worked out with a friend who goes to College of Pharmacy right next door. I really like going to school in the city.

Oh yeah, Matt's coming home this weekend :) We're looking at new restaurants to try out, and we'll be celebrating an early Valentine's Day.

I almost forgot to mention that I bought my bridesmaid dress for Olivia's wedding, and it is a very deep purple (lapis technically) and has pockets. It's very adorable, and I can't wait to wear it in her wedding. I just know I'm going to be crying everywhere that day. I love Olivia and Tyler so much, and they are so great for each other. Here's a picture of it (imagine in lapis...this is apple, I think).




I just received an email from Mary in Hyderabad, India, and it was just a reminder to me of all the people doing good out there in this big world. It doesn't matter how I do on these little tests in the grand scheme of things. It's the lives we impact that matter.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! That was a great post! I'm so proud of you. You really are learning a lot, and I look forward to hearing about all the nurse stuff you will learn (kind of ;)) Anyway, I haven't thought of a restaurant yet, but I will. It will be tasty.

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty excited about the fact that you're looking forward to testing your catheter-insertion skills on real, live people. ba hahahahaha.

    also, you're so sweet. :) i love you!

    ReplyDelete