3.19.2011

Hello again, blogging world! I'm sitting here at the library with Matt while he does his homework, so I thought I would take this opportunity to write about what's been going on lately.

So a few weeks ago, my friend Jake came into town from St. Louis, and I showed him around Nashville. We walked around the Vandy campus (because the weather was gorgeous! much like today...), went to the Pancake Pantry (this place is seriously worth the 1 hour wait to get in on weekends), went to the Loveless Cafe (supposed to have some of the best Southern comfort food around, but I really think it was a big disappointment), and we went to see Spring Awakening! It was an amazing musical, and I love the musical and the content. I was a little disappointed by how Act II wrapped up so quickly, but I had some super high expectations going in as my old roommate from DePauw, Lauren, talked about it ALL THE TIME.

The next weekend, I went home (Matt did, too). We were planning on talking to the Magic House about having our wedding and/or reception there, but it didn't work out. We went up there, and Matt showed me the general set up for wedding receptions. I think it would be a really unique and fun venue. There's a lot of natural light, and people could explore the new wing of the magic house during the reception (we have some kids in both of our families). I really like how you can look down from a balcony on the second floor to see the festivities going on on the bottom floor. People could walk up there and chat as well. The place where they take tickets by the main entrance can also be converted into a bar. We really like this venue, because it is special to us (Matt works there) and the friend who introduced us (shout out to Carlie!) used to work there as well. It sounds like it would be all on us to basically figure out all the rest of the details and set up and tear down everything by ourselves. We still have to figure things out. It's about a year out in June, so we have a little time, but I get anxious about these things.

While we were home, we went to a trivia night at my church. We didn't win, but it was a lot of fun. I also ended up buying (quite impulsively) a small organ/keyboard from a silent auction. It's pretty awesome, and it sits in my living room now. I'm sure my neighbors love it...

The next weekend, my parents came to Nashville to visit, because it was Doug's spring break. Yes, I've had a lot of visitors lately! We checked out the Opryland Hotel. There was a Twilight convention going on (no comment), and the hotel was gorgeous with its indoor garden. We walked around Centennial Park (my fave park here), went to Sweet Cece's (I can't live without their fro-yo now), and went to a couple malls. We had a lot of fun.

This week has been a little more back to normal. Matt surprised me with a date at a nice restaurant here with AMAZING food called the Germantown Cafe. We have plans to go to a bar tonight with his friend called the Flying Saucer that is supposed to have 150+ beers. Should be fun. A couple of nursing friends and I went to the Greenhouse Bar on Thursday, and this bar is literally a greenhouse. It was kind of neat.

I'm basically avoiding the biggest thing weighing on my mind this week. We're getting matched to our home units on Monday, and I'm a little nervous. I feel like I could be happy and learn a lot anywhere, but it's still stressful to think they are deciding where I will be working for a minimum of 1 year on Monday. I hope everyone is happy with the results of our matching. I know some are set on certain units. I am SO ready to just start orienting on one unit and getting to know the same people every week. They're announcing where we're all going at a ceremony on Monday, and there will be cupcakes (yay!). Luckily, we get emails beforehand, so we can process where we're going before we have to face other people if we are disappointed. This whole residency has been a positive experience for me, and I am very glad I ended up here at Vanderbilt. I know my job is going to be difficult a lot of times, but I'm hoping I'll learn a TON about medicine, dealing with people on an everyday basis, and coping with everything I see.

I can't wait blog about my adventures of my first job on my new floor! Miss you all.

1 comment: